Below you’ll find a list of Register of Deeds recording requirements for all pertinent documents.
- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201 (a) (e)
- No discrepancy shall exist between the names printed in the notary acknowledgement and as printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (b)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging property shall state the marital status of all male grantors/mortgagors. MCLA 565.221
- The address of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate shall contain the street number address or post office address. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (d)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan require an acknowledgement by a judge, clerk of a court of record or a notary public within this state. MCLA 565.8; 565.47 form; MCLA 565.265; 565.267
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by Liber and Page on said document when “survivor” is indicated on the document. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- The document submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (f)(iv).
- Documents must have a margin of unprinted space at least 2 1/2 inches at the top of the first page and at least 1/2 inch on all remaining sides of the page. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (f)(i).
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (f)(ii); 565.201 Sec 3.
- The type on the form must be printed with black ink; type size at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201 (f)(iii)(iv).
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-pound weight. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (f)(iv).
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches; at most, 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1 (f)(v)(vi).
Electronic Recording (e-Recording)
The Oceana County Register of Deeds office offers electronic recording of your real estate documents. Learn more on the e-Recording page.