Job Opportunity – Circuit Court Deputy Clerk
Under the supervision of the Circuit and Probate judges and such other persons designated by the judges. The employee will fulfill the following general duties: (1) serve as a judicial secretary to the judges of Circuit Court and Probate Court; (2) serve the public and attorneys seeking services from the Circuit and Probate Courts; and (3) serve as a court recorder for the Juvenile Division of the Circuit Court, together with providing secretarial services to the County Juvenile Officer.
|POSTED DATE:||January 12, 2021|
|APPLICATION DEADLINE:||Posted until filled|
|CURRENT SALARY:||35 hrs/week; $14.0659 – $18.2855 per hour|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Desk is located at the first station and is the first contact person with the public at the counter.
- Sort and process morning mail, answer phone, open new files, file, and send out afternoon mail for all work stations.
- Serves as secretary to the judges of the Circuit Court and Probate Court and the County Juvenile Officer.
- Schedule appointments and hearings, and type legal documents, correspondence, notices, and judicial orders.
- Respond to inquiries at the counter and by telephone consistent with the scope of authority, provide information on court policies, explain case activity, and direct people to the proper court, individual, or agency.
- Ensure that petitions, orders, summons and other documents are properly prepared and noticed as required.
- In juvenile cases, assemble and distribute victim rights information and process case regarding fingerprints, DNA testing, and DNA fees.
- Records all formal juvenile hearings.
- Responsible for the preparation of court orders and related legal documents following formal court hearings and distributes to parties.
- Assists in the maintenance of case files. Updates legal/social files based on court orders and enters required information to the computer system.
- Records and tracks all placements of youth and maintains records of placement changes to ensure vouchers are correct.
- Be cross-trained in assisting the public and legal profession in filing paperwork in all areas of the Circuit Court and Probate Court. (Includes certifying copies of court documents).
- Time stamp and process all documents legally appropriate for filing with the Circuit and Probate Courts on an “as available” rotation with other office staff.
- Perform a variety of account keeping activities including calculating fees, issuing payment vouchers, receiving payments, issuing receipts, and posting payments to appropriate ledgers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the judges of the Circuit and Probate Courts.
Essential Functions-Court Recorder
- Become a certified court recorder and notary public
- Become deputized as a circuit court clerk and deputy probate/juvenile register
- Schedule hearings and send out required notices
- Convene Court
- Electronically record hearings for the Circuit and Probate Courts, including marking and indexing the records of the exhibits and court proceedings
- Associate degree or equivalent with legal secretarial or paralegal work.
- One year of experience in a court, related legal or secretarial setting providing knowledge of the processing of legal documents and court operations are highly desirable.
All interested parties should submit cover letter and resume, with references,
to the following address:
Oceana County Administrator’s Office
Attn: Stacey Becker
100 S. State Street, Suite M-4, Hart, MI 49420
Or to firstname.lastname@example.org