Soil Erosion Control

Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control
under Part 91 of Public Act (P.A.) 451, 1994 as amended

A Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control (SESC) permit is required for any earth disturbance within 500 feet of the Waters of the State or if you are disturbing an acre or more of land.

SESC Permit Transfer Form  – is needed when there is a property transfer from the current owner/permit holder to the new property owner/permit holder.

Frequently Asked Questions – regarding Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control

Oceana County SESC Ordinance of 2003- Revised 2015

SESC Waiver – is needed when the earth disturbance is less than 225 square feet

Download and Complete Letter of Authorization – If A designated agent is obtaining the SESC permit, they must have a letter from the landowner, appointing them as the agent to obtain the permit.

  1. Complete permit application (type or print clearly in ink)
  2. Submit Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan containing the following:
a. Township zoning permit
b. Location map with north arrow
c. Topographical map which will accurately show existing natural drain pattern
d. Drainage arrows for on-site drainage
e. All lakes, streams, wetlands, drains etc and distance from project
f. Identify ultimate stormwater outlet
g. Graphic location of erosion and sediment controls
h. Limits of earth disruption
i. Provision for proper maintenance of erosion and sedimentation controls
j. Security deposit and sequence of construction on larger projects

NOTE: Farmers working under agreement with the Soil Conservation Service are EXEMPT, PROVIDED they comply with the regulations of Act 451 of 1994 part 91 and supply the agreement to the enforcing agency. Normal tilling, planting and harvesting of agricultural and horticultural crops are exempt.  Land balancing, grading or filling is not exempt and will require a permit.


Some permits may need to be reviewed in detail and may require up to 30 days before a permit is issued. Residential and minimum use permits usually can be issued after site review within 7 days.

We will be happy to assist you with any questions concerning this permit. Our office hours for issuing permits are:

Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Contact the Oceana Soil Erosion Control Office at:

Oceana Drain Commission
100 S. State Street
Suite M-11
Hart, MI 49420
Phone: (231) 873-3887
Fax: (231) 873-9218