The 78th District Court is part of the State Judicial System, and operates under the supervision of the Michigan Supreme Court. Serving Oceana County, this district court has one elected judge who serves for a six-year term.
The District Court has exclusive jurisdiction over the following matters:
- All civil litigation up to $25,000.
- Small claims up to $5000
- Traffic and non-traffic violations
- Landlord/Tenant litigation and evictions
- Land contract forfeitures
- Garnishments and other creditor collection procedures
- Misdemeanor criminal
- Preliminary exams
- Informal hearings
- Formal hearings
*The 78th District Court is closed in observance of the following holidays:
New Year’s Eve Day, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day